Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Blog 10

A few weeks ago, the Florida State campus was abuzz with talk of the changing of the Seminole logo. This news traveled fast and within a few days an online petition was made asking FSU's Administration to not change the logo. This has even caused chaos at the FSU Football Spring game two weekends ago where there were people with picket signs boycotting the new logo. Although I admit I was not a fan of the new Seminole head at first, once I researched why the logo is being changed and how this will benefit our school in the long run, I understood and I have come to like the new Seminole head. So in creating this piece, I hope that I will be able to share with others what I have learned, and hopefully change their mind in disapproving of the new logo. 

To create this piece, I took a stance from the viewpoint of Florida State University Administration and Nike. The exigence of this piece was to inform the student body, as well as FSU fans in general, of: the reasoning behind changing the logo, what this means for us as a growing university, and how notable members of FSU feel about the new logo. Through this brochure I wish to address the separation this logo decision has caused among our community and why we should instead feel a sense of comradery with the creation of the new logo and design. As Jimbo Fisher said regarding the logo, "It is what it is, it doesn't change Florida State, what our values are, or what our systems are."

My rhetorical goal in creating this artifact was to legitimize this new idea. I wanted to legitimize the changing of the seminole logo as a social movement that is worthwhile and meaningful. In order to do this I used identification as a language strategy to have the community (Florida State students and fans) relate to what I was saying. I made it clear throughout my piece that everyone involved in making the new logo was a Florida State fan as well as interested in helping our school grow in the coming years. I also included facts about how the new designs keep with the Seminole tribe tradition with the explanation of the tribal print as well as the designing of the logo in order to please the alumni of the school who are worried that the changing of the logo means losing tradition. 

I chose to make a pamphlet/brochure to share my findings. I got this idea after seeing the protestors outside the football stadium. A brochure is an easy way to convey a lot of information physically and its easy for people who are outside and on the go to read quickly and understand. It does not require people to go online, or to watch a video, it is a piece of paper that you can read from anywhere. A brochure also allows you to include multiple topics within one paper. My genre was a pamphlet and I believe this effectively got my point across to my audience.


No comments:

Post a Comment