Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Blog Post 10, Self Analysis, Due Thursday, April 24th - 500 Word MINIMUM

As we've talked about in class, I'm expecting certain bits of information in this self-analysis. Be sure to use the vocabulary from this textbook as you articulate these items:

1) The exigence you are trying to address.
2) The Persuasive Function(s) (Chapter 3) you were trying to carry out, aka your rhetorical goal.
3) The Strategy(ies) and Tactic(s) (Chapter 6) you used to accomplish your rhetorical goal.
4) What genre did you choose to carry out your rhetorical message? Why this type of artifact over others, i.e., why a pamphlet instead of a youtube video?
5) What are the conventions of the genre you chose? How did you work within them and/or go outside of them to compose your artifact? How does the genre help you carry out your goal?

Looking forward to seeing your projects tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. For my final project, I decided on making a similar poster to what the social movement PETA would make to show the world the truth of factory farms. I made a collage of two types of pictures, colored pictures and black and white pictures, and united it all with a quote. The colored pictures were of commercials for fast food restaurants filled with delicious looking burgers, and chicken fingers and smiling people eating all this. The black and white pictures are of cows, chickens and pigs being abused and slaughtered in an unclean environment. The quote stated, “If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we’d all be vegeterians.” I chose to make a collage because in my opinion, the best way to show the world what is really going on in these slaughterhouses is with images. If I would have made a song or written a poem, the public would have to imagine the farms, and not everyone has such a wide imagination.
    The exigence that I am trying to address is the truth about where our food really comes from, especially fast food. America is well known for being a hard working country where people hardly ever get much time off, and in this fast paced country many of us don’t have much time to cook, so we find ourselves at a McDonalds or chick-fil-a a lot more than we anticipated we could. Many of the American citizens that buy this food don’t have much of an idea of where it really comes from, and what the conditions of the slaughterhouses are like. The collage is a great way to represent how America perceives fast food; everyone sees the colorful commercials with the happy customers, but no one pays much attention to the actual animals. The quote basically explains that if the world did have a clear idea of what was really happening, no one would really eat fast food.
    A persuasive function that I used on my collage is perception of victimage. The black and white pictures, although they are not extremely clear, show gruesome pictures of harmless animals being slaughtered and treated like trash. My goal for these pictures is to show the world that animals too have thoughts and feelings like we do. Just because we cannot communicate with them, does not mean we should treat them as if they were mere objects. A second persuasive function I used is perception of the present. It is vital for the world to know that these animals are being mistreated today, not yesterday, and we need to do something about it now before it gets any worse. A strategy that I used was framing; as Charles Stewart says, “facts remain neutral until framed.” Displaying images of companies like Tyson slaughtering these animals in such an inhumane way, will cause the public to realize how dangerous these organizations can be. Another strategy that I used was ridicule. The quote that I used says that if we saw what the factory farms really did, we would all be sick. The quote encourages the public to see the companies as monsters and vultures.

    ReplyDelete