Thursday, April 24, 2014

Blog Post 10

For my final project I decided to use the recent social movement that took place on campus to end tobacco use. The reason that I decided to use this is because despite the fact that the entire campus is now tobacco free, there are still plenty of people that smoke or use chew as well as other forms of tobacco. With this knowledge I wanted to continue the spread of the tobacco free ideal.

The persuasive function that I used mainly throughout my video is the Perception of the Future. In this video I show the progression of habits and destructive side effects that occur when people start smoking. This way I show that the future leads to a dark and dangerous place if they decide to keep smoking or if they are thinking of starting smoking.

In this video I use storytelling as a strategy to portray to the people that just one cigarette or use of tobacco can cause people to go down a very long and expensive road. Expensive meaning more than just money, such as the cost of their lungs, teeth, etc. I also have a slogan throughout my video, "It Takes Just One," and I use this slogan to portray that all it takes to start down this deadly road is just one cigarette. I also have a song to accompany the video, progressing at the same pace, making it the emotion of the video that much more powerful. I also have short interviews with people and lead them on the path of ridicule in an attempt to spark protest amongst tobacco users and get them to "prove us wrong" by either getting them to stop using these products or to create a movement of their own.

I decided to create this this music video because I feel that getting people to watch a video effects them more and forces them to pay more attention than just handing them a pamphlet, which they can throw away without even looking at it.

I worked within common conventions in order to produce a music video, I added music to a video in order to produce the what people commonly see throughout society. However I went outside the normal conventions when I decided to make my own music, and find my own images and create my own interviews. This genre helped me carry out my goal because it allows me to bring up awareness of the continuous tobacco use on campus without enforcing the new policy which we are not allowed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment