Across the United States, animals
are abused, unwanted, neglected and repeatedly left in the streets to fend for
themselves. This has become a major
problem in our country today. Organizations
such as the Humane Society, present rescue efforts,
disaster response, provide mobile veterinary clinics, and established a global
street dog program to save animals and provide them with temporary homes. This approach is successful because animals
are given a second chance and the opportunity for a better life. Because of their dedication, the Humane
Society is the nations largest and most effective animal protection
organization.
For my rhetorical artifact, I
created an advertisement that could be put on a billboard or displayed any form
of media. In my rhetorical artifact I
created, I wanted to explain to my audience what they could do to help with
this problem. I intended to bring
awareness to the problem and explain how people can contribute to this social
movement. In this advertisement, I
attempt to transform perceptions of social reality as well as legitimizing the
social movement. A common misconception
of shelter animals is that they are violent, disease-ridden and
unfriendly. In order to transform this
perception of these animals, I described these animals as a future “best
friend.” This causes the audience to
feel as though they are not violent and that in reality they are only looking
for a home and an owner who will treat them well. I also attempt to legitimize the movement by providing
the mission of the Humane Society and by stating what the audience can do to take
action. By stating “His future is in
your hands” exercises the power of control.
However, by stating, “Make a
friend. Save a life,” This exercises the power of reward. The audience gains satisfaction of becoming a
hero as well as gaining a best friend.
In order to accomplish this goal of
gathering people into this movement, I used the languaging strategy of
identification and the tactic or creating a slogan that would grab the
attention of the viewer. Identification
is used to “change the status quo” and the perception of shelter animals so the
public can now identify with the movement.
By using this strategy I established a common ground with my
audience. The slogan is unique in that
it grabs the viewers attention and persuades them to join the movement.
For
my artifact, I decided to create a billboard.
A billboard is a successful form of rhetoric to present to my audience
because it provides a quick slogan to grab the viewers attention within a few
seconds. It is very effective because it
can be seen by thousands of people a day.
I decided to make the entire billboard black and white because it
establishes a sense of credibility because black and white is commonly
associated with a serious message. The large
font of the slogan establishes a sense of urgency, as it is the first thing the
viewer perceives. The photograph is a photo of my dog, which I adopted
from an animal shelter. The dog is happy and reaching up to his owner
to give her a “high five.” This picture
works well with the slogan because a “high five” is something you would give
your best friend. Overall, This
billboard can relate to anyone who views it and it is an effective form of
communication to gather in people to adopt pets from animal shelters.
No comments:
Post a Comment