Thursday, April 24, 2014

Blog Post 10

     I chose to relay my information in a college newsletter format because I wanted to tell students of Florida State University of the upcoming events and organizations within the gender equality movement. I believe that a newsletter is the perfect balance between visual elements and writing. I am able to visually show readers polls, graphs, and photos to help legitimize my movement. Even if one is not able to take the time to read the information I have provided, they can take away the main idea from the visuals. I incorporated on campus organizations to allow one to get involved as well as nationally recognized groups. 
     The exigence I am trying to address is to gain involvement within the FSU community, students and faculty. I hope the information I provide causes individuals to want to make a difference and gain equality for both genders. The main rhetorical goal for the artifact I wish to accomplish is to transform perceptions of social reality. I use perceptions of the past when I write that although we have gained the ability to vote, it was a brutal process and as a society, we still have a long way to go. Legitimizing the movement is also an important step for social movements. Using the power of control enables the writer and Florida State to take authority in the information they disclose to the public. 

      Incorporating both the female and male symbols in the title of the newsletter helps people identify with the movement. If both genders feel they were needed for change, they will be more likely to join the movement. Using the “About Me” column, I allowed people to identify with her and the yearning to help her brother. Framing is also an essential strategy in the newsletter. The newsletter embodies the same point-of-view throughout it. I use legitimate facts and events to help frame the newsletter to be about gender equality. Although most newsletters do not include slogans, I titled one of the articles “Never let the hand you hold, hold you down” to be easily remembered and provide an emotional persuasive element. The poll I added is meant to polarize the individuals that are for and against gender equality. As a result, I hoped to unite those that believe in it and create a bond between them that is necessary to assist the success of the movement. These languaging tactics and strategies will hopefully help make an impact on the students and faculty of FSU and increase participation. Because women are able to vote, people may not have put as much importance in the gender equality movement. Many people do not even believe that women and men should be equal. In the newsletter, I addressed a few reasons why it is beneficial to all that both genders are equal. As a female who is affected by the discrimination, I wanted to display as much information as I can and show people that gender equality needs to be obtained today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment